Vehicle transport check list
While relocating to another location or purchasing a car online, vehicle shipping companies will help to transport your automobile to any location without any problem at all. Auto-shipping services will help to save your vehicle from wear and tear as well as added miles. Nevertheless, you need to perform several things for making sure that your auto shipping experience is a pleasant one. Below, we have provided a comprehensive vehicle transport checklist that will assist you in preparing your vehicle for transport.
Checklist for shipping a car
• Select the most effective car shipment method which is ideal for your transporting requirements. You can go for the open auto shipment option given that it provides inexpensive rates for moving your vehicle. On the other hand, the enclosed auto shipment option provides adequate protection to your car from dirt as well as weather.
• Make a decision on which day and at what time you’d like to meet the driver of the car shipping company. It will be advisable to be present at the site at least 30 minutes before.
• Obtain a copy of all the keys of the vehicle. According to the regulations of the US Department of Transportation, it is imperative for the driver of the car shipping company to have one key for every single lock on the vehicle. The spare keys should be given to the driver and you need to keep the original ones.
Before transporting your vehicle
• Make it a point to clean the automobile. It will be easy to identify chips, dents, dings, scratches, and other damages in case the car is clean.
• Prepare a checklist of every cosmetic damage to the car. Jot down all the marks found by you and also include the time and date when the picture was captured.
• Take photographs of the vehicle. It is important for these pictures to cover every angle of the vehicle and you should also take close-up shots of all the damages. Make sure to mention the time and date of all these pictures.
• Get rid of any personal belonging from the car. Leave the jack, spare tire, and all other standard equipment of the vehicle. However, all covers must be removed including that of the spare tires, grills, and hubcaps.
• Get rid of anything which can fall off. This will include bikes, radio antennas, ski racks, or luggage. In case you own a convertible vehicle, ensure that the top is safe and secure. Fog lights, spoilers, and other specialty items must be removed or secured.
• Check the battery. It is imperative for the battery to have a full charge and it should be mounted securely within the battery bracket.
• Check the tires and ensure that they are inflated appropriately according to the guidelines of the vehicle manufacturer.
• Check whether there is any leakage or mechanical problem. In case there is any leakage or mechanical problem, make certain to inform the driver of the car shipping company during the initial inspection. Provide the driver with special guidelines for loading and also unloading your car to the trailer.
• Check the gas tank which must not have in excess of ¼ of gas for cutting down the overall weight of the vehicle.
• Disable the car alarm. If you are not able to do this, provide detailed instructions in writing to the driver of the auto shipping company in case it is required to turn off the car alarm while transporting.
• The side mirrors should be folded in.
• Inspect the official notes of the car shipment driver regarding cosmetic damage while inspecting the car. It is imperative for the driver to notate every single damage prior to the transportation of the vehicle.
Car Transport preparation
Proper preparation will allow you to reduce the risk of any damage to your vehicle while preventing any extra expenses as well. Below, we have mentioned some guidelines on car transport preparation that will come of use to you.
1. Make a note of existing damage
You will be the best person to know about your automobile. You will be the first person to know regarding any dings, dents, and scratches on the car. Recording every single pre-existing damage on the vehicle will make it simpler for you as well as the carrier to recognize new damages in case they happen.
• Wash the car: It will be possible to identify any pre-existing damage by washing the exterior of the vehicle comprehensively.
• Make a note of the damage: Record any pre-existing damage on the vehicle. These notes can be shared and compared with the driver afterward.
• Take photographs: Take pictures of pre-existing damages along with dates. Apart from this, you may also capture photographs of the vehicle from various angles.
• Get the acknowledgment of the driver: Make it a point to share the notes of pre-existing damages with the driver. These damages should be acknowledged by the driver on his inspection report.
2. Get rid of personal as well as aftermarket items
It is not possible for the car transport companies to transport any household item or personal item in the vehicles which are being shipped. Even though some carriers do carry items less than 75 pounds within the trunk space, it is entirely up to you whether you like to place any personal object in the vehicle. Take into consideration the following prior to filling your vehicle with items:
• Damage might occur to items: While they are being transported, the vehicles are not absolutely motionless. Some small movement on the vehicle might be sufficient to damage certain items.
• Transport can be denied by the carrier: In case carriers are of the notion that a vehicle is not ready for shipment due to personal items in it, they can deny transporting the automobile.
• Aftermarket items: It will be a sensible idea to remove custom car stereos, TVs, sound systems, GPS systems, DVD players, and so on from the car unless it is equipped with all these items.
• Antennas: Fully retract or remove antennas.